One of the best ways to learn the inner workings of government and your community is through a State Assembly internship. Assemblymember Evan Low is looking for bright, self-motivated, energetic individuals who are interested in learning the dynamics of working in a legislative office.
As an intern you will provide support to staff with legislation, events, constituent services, and special projects. We accommodate interns with a flexible schedule; nevertheless we ask for a minimum of five hours per week. The office will work with applicants who are requesting to receive undergraduate or graduate credit. Internship terms will be determined based on availability and needs of the capitol or district office.
- Engage with constituents via telephone or in-person
- Assist with data entry
- Respond to constituent requests
- Assist with constituent casework
- Work with staff on special projects and assignments
- Attend events
- Perform outreach to community leaders, constituents, and interest groups
- Other miscellaneous tasks, as required
We are seeking candidates with a strong interest in public policy, community organizing, writing, political science, economics, communications, public relations or a similar area of study. Applicants with these areas of interest will find the State Assembly internship a rewarding and fulfilling experience.
- Interest in local and State issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines simultaneously
- Proficient in using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Assist in research and planning of upcoming events and projects
- Research issues in response to community inquiries
- Assist with office procedures, routine correspondence, telephone inquiries and special projects
- Fluency in second language is beneficial
Summer 2018 District Office Internship Information:
Our summer 2018 internship program will run from June 11, 2018 (for college and high school students on the semester schedule) or June 18, 2018 (for quarter system students) to the first week of September.
Applications for summer internships in the District Office are accepted until March 16, 2018.
For a District Office internship application, please contact:
20111 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 220
Cupertino, CA 95014
Fax (408) 446-2815
Phone (408) 446-2810
For an internship in the Capitol Office, contact:
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0028
Fax (916) 319-2128
Phone (916) 319-2028